Get a FREE Quote Today!
(661) 452-8707

Close this search box.
Air Pollutants That Are Probably Inside Your Home

Air Pollutants That Are Probably Inside Your Home

Silent but deadly. Believe it or not, there are particles in the air of your home that are out to get you. They stem from household appliances, the outdoors, and even your home’s insulation. Below you’ll find a list of pollutants that may or may not be invading your home and what you can do to stop them.

Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Carbon monoxide is one pollutant that most of us are already familiar with. This colorless and odorless gas is spread in your house by any combustion appliances such as gas stovetops and heaters.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning in your house include headaches, tiredness, dizziness, nausea, and an increased heart rate. If the concentration of carbon monoxide is high enough, there is a possibility it can become fatal.

The best course of action to combat this pollutant is to have your combustion appliances checked annually to ensure they aren’t leaking CO. There are also carbon monoxide detectors that can be installed in your home that are able to sense and alert you if the CO levels in your home rise.


Asbestos is found commonly found in the insulation of older homes. When left alone, asbestos particles are virtually harmless. When disturbed, they quickly become airborne with the ability to enter the lungs.

When inhaled in quantity, asbestos is known to cause Mesothelioma, one of the most fatal and terminal forms of lung cancer. If you have anything in your home containing asbestos, it’s best to get it removed to avoid any potential health issues.


Mold is one of the most commonly known pollutants in the home. It can be many types of fungi that grow indoors or outdoors, with varying degrees of harmfulness. It is caused by an unchecked level of moisture or humidity in the air. Excess moisture can be caused by issues such as leaks or forgetting to vent the bathroom after a hot shower.

Mold can trigger allergic reactions or asthma attacks, as well as shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing, and even skin irritations.

The best way to keep mold out of your home is to fix your leaks and vent your house properly while using moisture-producing appliances.


Radon is a colorless and odorless gas that can be found typically anywhere in low levels. It can be found in soil, rocks, and even water before it ends up in your air. Its most common entry point into your home is through cracks in your foundation.

If found in large enough quantities, excessive radon exposure can cause lung cancer. Symptoms of this in your home include coughing up blood, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pains, and frequent infections of bronchitis and pneumonia.

You can screen your home for radon levels using a special kit or have it tested by professionals. If your radon levels are dangerously high, those same professionals will need to remove it to make your house safe again.

There can be many pollutants found within the walls of your home. Luckily for you, the professionals at Monarch Home Services happen to be experts in indoor air quality. If you are unsure or worried about the quality of air in your home, don’t hesitate to contact us through our website or give us a call at (661) 452-8707.

Related Posts